Andy Hemmings is an Animal Keeper at Shepreth Wildlife Park. "I've always loved animals. I was obsessed with animal programmes when I was a kid and books and things like that. David Attenborough was a big one, he really inspired me." But he didn't start off working with animals. He worked in a warehouse, a bowling alley and Toys R Us before going to college to study animal management, and going to work at Shepreth.
More information about animal care services occupations n.e.c.
Check out 7 videos about this career
Workers in this unit group care for animals held in kennels, stables, zoos and similar establishments, provide specialised training, grooming, clipping and trimming services for animals, and searches for and captures stray or nuisance dogs in public areas and perform a variety of animal care tasks not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 613: Animal Care and Control Services.
Entry is possible without formal academic qualifications, although some employers may ask for GCSEs/S grades. There is a variety of vocational qualifications available, including NVQs/SVQs in Animal Care at Levels 1 and 2, in Dog Grooming at Levels 2 and 3, and BTEC qualifications and apprenticeships relating to Horse Care.
- Feeds, washes, grooms, trims and exercises animals
- Cleans animalsí quarters and renews bedding as necessary
- Houses, feeds, exercises, trains, grooms horses, dogs and other animals in preparation for entry to shows, races and other events
- Checks animals for illness, treats minor ailments or calls for vet if further treatment is required
- Meets prospective owners and advises on animal selection and animal care
- Patrols public areas to search for and capture stray or nuisance dogs, and transports captured animals to kennels.
for this job
|Services to buildings||1,560|
|Public admin. & defence||1,312|
|Sport & recreation||702|