Andrew H is an Assembly Technician at Lola Cars. "The best thing about the job is pride when you complete a car". He has always played with cars and has followed his passion. He did a BTEC in Automotive and during work experience he got involved in motor sport.
Check out 4 videos about this career
DescriptionVehicle technicians, mechanics and electricians accept calls for help and repair and service the mechanical parts and electrical/electronic circuitry and components of cars, lorries, buses, motorcycles and other motor vehicles, and repair and service auto air-conditioning systems.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements, although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades or an equivalent qualification. Training is undertaken off- and on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs at Levels 2 and 3 are available. Apprenticeships at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3 are available and take three to four years to complete.
- Visually checks, test drives or uses test equipment to diagnose engine and mechanical faults;
- Removes, dismantles, repairs and replaces defective parts and prepares new parts using appropriate tools;
- Reassembles, tests, adjusts and tunes the appropriate parts, systems or entire engine;
- Carries out routine maintenance checks on oil and air filters, brakes and other vehicle parts/systems;
- Diagnoses faults in electrical/electronic circuitry, removes faulty components and fits replacements;
- Checks condition of electrical/electronic systems and carries out servicing tasks;
- Installs additional electrical amenities such as radio/CD players, aerials;
- Repairs and services air conditioning, heating and engine-cooling systems.
for this job
|Sale of motor vehicles||148787|
|Land transport, etc||9548|
|Motor vehicles, etc||6657|
|Rental & leasing||4236|