Andrew L is in charge of the packing and distribution of goods within Spicers, an office supplies wholesaler. After school he started a trainee manager's job and took his manager's qualifications while working full time. He worked his way up through a series of management jobs. "What I enjoy most about my job is the challenge. It's different every single day. You're dealing with people, which I enjoy, and you're dealing with all different circumstances and situations." He intends to climb the ladder even further. He would like to do a Masters degree and become a Board member.
More information about Managers and directors in storage and warehousing
Check out 2 videos about this career
DescriptionManagers and directors in storage and warehousing plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the activities and resources necessary for the safe and efficient receipt, storage and warehousing of goods and for the maintenance of stocks at an optimal level.
QualificationsCandidates are recruited with a variety of academic qualifications and/or with relevant experience. Entrants to management trainee schemes offered by larger companies will require GCSEs/S grades, A levels/H grades, a degree or other equivalent qualifications. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. Professional and vocational qualifications covering a number of areas including supply chain and operations management are available at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2, 3, 4 and 5.
- Liaises with production, maintenance, sales and other departments to determine the materials and other items required for current and future production schedules and sales commitments;
- Reviews, develops and implements stock control, handling and distribution policies to maximise use of space, money, labour and other resources;
- Advises purchasing department on type, quality and quantity of goods required and dates by which they must be available;
- Prepares reports on expenditure and advises on materials and parts standardisation, future stores and stock control policies;
- Decides on storage conditions for particular items, allocates warehouse space and arranges for regular stock inspections to detect deterioration or damage.
for this job
|Rental & leasing||3475|
|Sale of motor vehicles||2600|
|Land transport, etc||2375|
|Food & beverage services||2285|
|Sport & recreation||2229|