On completing his A-levels, Andrew knew that he didn't want to go to university. He thought about joining the police and spent some time as a volunteer constable but his love of geography and the outdoors led him to the Environment Agency. He joined the Environment Agency on their Foundation Degree training scheme and is now gradually developing both his career and academic qualifications. He feels he has found a job that he loves doing and enjoys the variety of time in the office and out wading in rivers!
More information about Environment professionals
Check out 11 videos about this career
DescriptionJobholders in this unit group investigate, address, and advise on a variety of terrestrial and marine environment and resource management issues, including the development and implementation of environmental policies and remedies that address the impacts of human activities and industrial processes on the environment.
QualificationsA good degree in a relevant subject is normally a minimum entry qualification, and some employers will require a postgraduate qualification. Relevant work experience to complement academic qualifications is highly desirable. Professional qualifications across a wide range of areas of work are available.
- Identifies contamination of land, air or water and assesses any adverse impact on the environment;
- Advises on and provides solutions for mitigating the effects of such contamination;
- Implements remediation works;
- Carries out environment-related desk-based research and fieldwork to collect, analyse and interpret data to determine their validity, quality and significance;
- Carries out environmental audits and environmental impact assessments;
- Communicates scientific and technical information to relevant audiences in an appropriate form, via reports, workshops, educational events, public hearings;
- Assists organisations to conduct their activities in an environmentally appropriate manner;
- Implements, reviews and advises on regulatory and legislative standards, guidelines and policies;
- Provides professional guidance to clients, government agencies, regulators and other relevant bodies, having regard for sustainable approaches and solutions.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||5347|
|Public admin. & defence||4580|
|Architectural & related||3541|
|Food & beverage services||2308|
|Services to buildings||2200|