After a gap year in North London volunteering for a charity, Andy H decided that this kind of work was his calling. He is now a joint executive manager for a charity called Youth Initiatives doing youth and community work in West Belfast. He says, "We're talking about an area where there's a fair amount of social deprivation, poverty, unemployment, problems associated with that in terms of educational under-achievement, anti-social behaviour. So young people are perceived quite negatively within the community. What we're about is turning that round into a positive image".
Check out 1 videos about this career
DescriptionManagers and proprietors in this group plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the resources necessary in the provision and running of residential and day care establishments and domiciliary care services for persons who require specialised care and/or supervision.
QualificationsAlthough there are no pre-set academic entry requirements there are a variety of entry routes. However, entrants must be registered with the relevant statutory body and hold the appropriate qualification for the job they do. Off- and on-the-job training is provided and a range of qualifications is available including NVQs/SVQs in Health and Social Care at Levels 3 and 4. Background checks including a CRB check are required.
- Determines staffing, financial, material and other short- and long-term requirements;
- Plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities to staff;
- Arranges for payment of bills, keeps accounts and adheres to health, safety and other statutory requirements;
- Maintains contact between service users and the local community and/or family and friends;
- Assesses service users’ needs and ensures they have access to health and social care services as required;
- Creates a friendly, secure atmosphere to gain the trust and confidence of those using the service;
- Ensures that the physical comfort and all material needs of service users are provided and attempts to resolve problems that may arise.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||6895|
|Sport & recreation||6650|
|Food & beverage services||6177|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- Northern Ireland
- Enterprise types