Andy P is a project manager for Halcrow. He went to Australia and the Far East for a few years after he graduated and when he came back he was too old to do what he wanted to do - to be a pilot in the Fleet Air Arm. So he returned to college and did a Masters in Applied and Environmental Geology. At the moment he's working on the reclamation of Ebbw Vale Steelworks. "We're providing all the engineering services on that job. My job is to make things as simple and understandable as possible... It's like Lego on a real scale."
Check out 6 videos about this career
DescriptionBuilding and civil engineering technicians perform a variety of technical support functions to assist civil and building engineers.
QualificationsEntrants usually possess a relevant BTEC/SQA award or an Advanced GNVQ/GSVQ Level III. The status of engineering technician is obtained after a period of further training at work and upon gaining the membership of a professional engineering institution.
- Sets up apparatus and equipment and undertakes field and laboratory tests of soil and work materials;
- Performs calculations and collects, records and interprets data;
- Sets out construction site, supervises excavations and marks out position of building work to be undertaken;
- Inspects construction materials and supervises work of contractors to ensure compliance with specifications and arranges remedial work as necessary.
for this job
|Architectural & related||2578|
|Computer programming, etc||599|
|Public admin. & defence||487|
|Electricity, gas, etc||454|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- Enterprise types