An influential teacher and an inspirational careers talk from a visiting ward sister helped Angela discover her passion for nursing. Changing roles regularly and working in the UK and South Africa, has kept Angela's interest in nursing alive. Her mantra is 'Make the most of your life, do whatever you can when you can do it'
More information about
Check out 15 videos about this career
DescriptionManagers and directors in this unit group plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the resources and activities of health care providers and purchasers at both district and unit levels.
QualificationsEntrants require a degree or equivalent qualification, a professional qualification and/or relevant experience. Off- and on-the-job training is provided through management training schemes. The nature of schemes varies between regions and occupational areas.
- Implements policies of the board, ensures statutory procedures are followed, with particular emphasis on patient safety and the management of risk;
- Liaises with health care professionals to determine short and long-term needs and how to meet these objectives within budgetary constraints;
- Oversees the day-to-day management of the unit or service and provides leadership to staff;
- Uses statistical information to monitor performance and assist with planning;
- Negotiates and manages contracts with providers and purchasers of health care services;
- Manages staff, including recruitment, appraisal and development;
- Monitors and reports upon the effectiveness of services with a view to improving the efficiency of health care provision;
- Coordinates the promotion of public health and wellbeing in the actions and policies of public agencies and their social partners;
- Monitors and reports upon the state of public health and wellbeing.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||4827|
|Head offices, etc||412|