Fascinated by science from an early age and inspired by family and her dynamic physics teacher, Anita studied chemistry, linguistics and then a graduate diploma in Science Communication. Curious by nature, Anita is passionate about her job with The Science Museum. She is in her element researching information for the biggest gallery-based exhibition on climate change.
Check out 8 videos about this career
DescriptionArchivists and curators collect, appraise and preserve collections of recorded and other material of historical interest.
QualificationsEntrants require a good first degree in order to gain entry to a relevant postgraduate course. Many postgraduate courses also require applicants to have gained relevant practical experience prior to entry. Training is typically received on-the-job. Professional qualifications leading to NVQs/SVQs in relevant areas at Levels 3, 4 and 5 are available.
- Examines, appraises and advises on the acquisition of exhibits, historic records, government papers and other material;
- Classifies material and arranges for its safe keeping and preservation;
- Maintains indexes, bibliographies and descriptive details of archive material and arranges for reproductions of items where necessary;
- Examines objects to identify any damage and carries out necessary restoration whilst preserving original characteristics;
- Makes sure that storage and display conditions protect objects from deterioration and damage;
- Allows access to original material or material not on display for researchers;
- Develops and promotes ideas for exhibitions and displays;
- Negotiates loans of material for specialist displays;
- Liaises with school and other groups or individuals, publicises exhibits and arranges special displays for general, specialised or educational interest;
- Answers verbal or written enquiries and gives advice on exhibits or other material.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||2591|
|Sport & recreation||1353|
|Services to buildings||480|
|Film & music||323|
|Arts & entertainment||111|
|Public admin. & defence||107|