Anna H is an Apprentice Engineer - "The first time I probably thought about becoming an engineer was when I was doing work experience". She enjoys being an apprentice - "You're not just limited to doing one thing. If you've got the knowledge then you can go and do anything you want. It appealed to me because I felt that I'd prefer to work and learn at the same time instead of being at college full time."
More information about engineering technicians
Check out 13 videos about this career
Engineering technicians perform a variety of technical support functions to assist engineers with the design, development, operation, installation and maintenance of engineering systems and constructions.
Entrants to training usually posses GCSEs/S grades. Vocational training consists either of full-time study for a BTEC/SQA award followed by two years on-the-job training, or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 or 4. An NVQ/SVQ in Aircraft Engineering Maintenance at Level 3 plus further professional qualifications are required to become a licensed aircraft engineer.
- Plans and prepares work and test schedules based on specifications and drawings
- Sets up equipment, undertakes tests, takes readings, performs calculations and records and interprets data
- Prepares estimates of materials, equipment and labour required for engineering projects
- Diagnoses and detects faults and implements procedures to maintain efficient operation of systems and equipment
- Inspects completed aircraft maintenance work to certify that it meets standards and the aircraft is ready for operation
- Visits and advises clients on the use and servicing of mechanical and chemical engineering products and services.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||6,532|
|Computer programming, etc||5,702|
|Architectural & related||5,642|
|Public admin. & defence||4,766|
|Legal & accounting||2,815|
Where to go nextHumber VHBSector information and statistics about the agricultural industriesSector Skills Council for Engineering Professionals
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- South East England
- Focus On
- Enterprise types