Anthony W is Chief Technical Officer on a P & O cruise ship. He wasn't sure what he wanted to be at school until he went to a careers convention and they told him about the Merchant Navy. "Within ten minutes I was hooked... He showed me pictures of a guy covered in fuel oil taking a valve out of bottom of a fuel tank on a cargo ship, and I thought, 'That's me.'"
More information about
Check out 13 videos about this career
DescriptionEngineering technicians perform a variety of technical support functions to assist engineers with the design, development, operation, installation and maintenance of engineering systems and constructions.
QualificationsEntrants to training usually posses GCSEs/S grades. Vocational training consists either of full-time study for a BTEC/SQA award followed by two years on-the-job training, or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 or 4. An NVQ/SVQ in Aircraft Engineering Maintenance at Level 3 plus further professional qualifications are required to become a licensed aircraft engineer.
- Plans and prepares work and test schedules based on specifications and drawings;
- Sets up equipment, undertakes tests, takes readings, performs calculations and records and interprets data;
- Prepares estimates of materials, equipment and labour required for engineering projects;
- Diagnoses and detects faults and implements procedures to maintain efficient operation of systems and equipment;
- Inspects completed aircraft maintenance work to certify that it meets standards and the aircraft is ready for operation;
- Visits and advises clients on the use and servicing of mechanical and chemical engineering products and services.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||11775|
|Public admin. & defence||6355|
|Architectural & related||4050|
|Other trans. equipment||3430|
|Repair & installation||3201|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- Focus On
- Enterprise types