Bobbie Q is a family outreach worker for North East Lincolnshire County Council "I have had quite a few high points like clients who've perhaps had serious money worries, bailiffs arriving and threatening to repossess goods and things like that, and I've been able to help them. It's nice, at the end of the day, to think I've actually made a difference in somebody's life... You get that automatic feedback that you know that it was a job well done."
Check out 2 videos about this career
DescriptionSocial workers provide information, advice and support to those who are socially excluded or are experiencing crisis; they protect the welfare of vulnerable groups including children, young people, people with disabilities, elderly people and people who are mentally or physically ill, and they may specialise in specific areas of work.
QualificationsSocial work is a regulated profession and practitioners must be registered with the appropriate statutory body. To register a social worker must satisfy the criteria for registration. Non-graduates must undertake a three-year degree in social work; graduates with relevant experience may take a two-year postgraduate diploma/Masters degree. Prior relevant work experience or relevant voluntary work is encouraged. Background checks including a CRB check are required.
- Liaises with other health and social care professionals and agencies to identify those in need and at risk within the local community;
- Interviews individuals and groups to assess and review the nature and extent of difficulties;
- Undertakes and writes up assessments to specified standards;
- Arranges for further counselling or assistance in the form of financial or material help;
- Organises support and develops care plans to address service users’ needs;
- Keeps case records, prepares reports and participates in team meetings;
- Gives evidence in court;
- Participates in training and supervision.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||9576|
|Food & beverage services||321|
|Rubber & plastic||164|
|Sport & recreation||111|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- Job location
- East of England
- Yorkshire and the Humber
- Enterprise types