Bola A is Acting Deputy Manager at a Royal Mail sorting office. He was a postman. During the industrial action two years ago he got involved in discussions about the relationships between staff and management. He feels this led to him being given the opportunity to start on the path to management himself. "I just jumped at it and things have just been happening since then."
More information about Postal workers, mail sorters, messengers and couriers
Check out 6 videos about this career
DescriptionWorkers in this unit group collect, receive, sort and deliver mail, documents, correspondence or messages, either between or within establishments.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements. A medical examination may be required. Entrants complete short induction courses followed by a programme of off- and on-the-job training. NVQs/ SVQs in Mail Operations are available at Levels 1 and 2.
- Collects mail from post boxes, receives parcels, and collects correspondence, documents and other material from individuals, offices or other establishments;
- Sorts mail, parcels and other incoming and outgoing material for delivery, and maintains records of material received and despatched;
- Delivers mail, parcels, correspondence and other materials to specified or agreed routes and schedules;
- Completes delivery forms, collects charges, and issues receipts for the collection and delivery of registered or recorded mail and other items.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||5490|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Job location
- Enterprise types