A degree in aeronautical engineering led Chris O to a job at Rolls Royce. Eight years on he realised his interest lay in business management. Retraining opened the door to his research and development (reducing carbon emissions) post at E.ON. Chris combines his rewarding work with challenging out of work activities and is passionate about travel.
More information about Design and development engineers
Check out 3 videos about this career
DescriptionDesign and development engineers conceive engineering designs from product ideas or requirements in mechanical, electrical and electronic engineering.
QualificationsDesign and development engineers usually possess an accredited university degree or equivalent qualification. All routes are followed by periods of appropriate training and relevant experience in order to qualify for membership of a chartered engineering institution. Incorporated engineers possess an accredited university degree, BTEC/SQA award or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 4.
- Assesses product requirements, including costs, manufacturing feasibility and market requirements;
- Prepares working designs for steam, aero, turbine, marine and electrical engines, mechanical instruments, aircraft and missile structures, vehicle and ship structures, plant and machinery equipment, domestic electrical appliances, building systems and services, and electronic computing and telecommunications equipment;
- Arranges construction and testing of model or prototype and modifies design if necessary;
- Produces final design information for use in preparation of layouts, parts lists, etc.;
- Prepares specifications for materials and other components.
for this job
|Architectural & related||19195|
|Other trans. equipment||4904|
|Motor vehicles, etc||4510|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- East Midlands
- Enterprise types