Coral N works in Passenger Check In at Lydd Airport. Her career had a shaky start. Family problems affected her studies so she didn't get to university. She studied childcare at college but went off the idea of that as a career. "And then I heard through a friend about the job - a job in catering at the Airport. And I applied for that, and got that. And then after about a month or so working in the restaurant, the MD and all the staff noticed that I was a nice, good worker, hard worker, and they needed a job for the Passenger Check In, and so they interviewed me for that. And I moved up to Passenger Check In." She hopes that the airport expands so she can stay there and do a more challenging job.
More information about
Check out 1 videos about this career
DescriptionAir travel assistants issue travel tickets and boarding passes, examine other documentation, provide information and assistance at airport terminals and look after the welfare, comfort and safety of passengers travelling in aircraft.
QualificationsEntrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades. Fluency in a foreign language may also be required in some posts. Training typically lasts between 3 to 6 weeks followed by a 6 to 12 month probationary period of on-the-job training.
- Receives passengers at airport terminal, examines tickets and other documentation, checks in luggage and distributes boarding passes;
- Checks emergency equipment, distributes reading material, blankets and other items, and ensures that the aircraft is ready for the receipt of passengers;
- Welcomes passengers on board the aircraft, guides them to their seats and assists with any hand luggage;
- Ensures that sufficient stocks of meals and beverages are on board the aircraft prior to take off and serves passengers during the flight;
- Sells duty-free goods during the flight;
- Makes announcements on behalf of the pilot, demonstrates the use of emergency equipment and checks that safety belts are fastened;
- Directs and instructs passengers in the event of an emergency, ensures safety procedures are followed.
for this job
|Land transport, etc||3349|
|Food & beverage services||1977|
|Rental & leasing||38|
|Architectural & related||32|
|Public admin. & defence||28|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- South East England
- Enterprise types