Daniella Willcock is a Front Office Manager at a Crowne Plaza hotel. While she was at Salford University she worked 20-30 hours to fund herself through the course. That meant that she was getting a lot of relevant work experience while she was being educated, and to pull that off she had to develop her planning and organisation skills as well. So now, at age 27, she is running a team of 30 people in a four star hotel.
Check out 5 videos about this career
DescriptionJob holders in this unit group plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the activities and resources of hotels, hostels, lodging homes, holiday camps, holiday flats and chalets, and organise the domestic, catering, and entertainment facilities on passenger ships.
QualificationsEntry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications and/or relevant experience. Candidates for these usually require a BTEC/SQA award, a degree or equivalent qualification, or a professional qualification. Off- and on-the-job training is provided and large hotel chains normally offer management trainee schemes. NVQs/SVQs in management for hospitality, leisure and tourism are available at Levels 3 and 4.
- Analyses demand and decides on type, standard and cost of services to be offered;
- Determines financial, staffing, material and other short- and long-term needs;
- Ensures physical comfort of residents or passengers and makes special arrangements for children, the elderly and the infirm if required;
- Approves and arranges shipboard entertainment and shore trips and liaises with ship’s agent to ensure that ship is adequately provisioned;
- Arranges for payment of bills, keeps accounts and ensures adherence to licensing and other statutory regulations.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||3825|
|Arts & entertainment||186|
|Computer programming, etc||162|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- North West England
- Enterprise types