Duncan M is Head Stillman at Glengoyne Distillery. "We have a recipe which has been handed down and you obviously want to do the same as the people before you". He has been at the distillery for 32 years.
More information about Food, drink and tobacco process operatives
Check out 8 videos about this career
DescriptionFood, drink and tobacco process operatives set, operate and attend machinery to bake, freeze, heat, crush, mix, blend and otherwise process foodstuffs, beverages and tobacco leaves.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements, though some GCSEs/S grades can be an advantage. Off- and on-the-job training is available. NVQs/ SVQs in Food and Drink Manufacturing Operations are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3. NVQs/SVQs in Tobacco Processing are available at Level 2.
- Sets, operates and attends machinery and ovens to mix, bake and otherwise prepare bread and flour confectionery products;
- Operates machinery to crush, mix, malt, cook and ferment grains and fruits to produce beer, wines, malt liquors, vinegar, yeast and related products;
- Attends equipment to make jam, toffee, cheese, processed cheese, margarine, syrup, ice, pasta, ice-cream, sausages, chocolate, maize starch, edible fats and dextrin;
- Operates equipment to cool, heat, dry, roast, blanch, pasteurise, smoke, sterilise, freeze, evaporate and concentrate foodstuffs and liquids used in food processing;
- Mixes, pulps, grinds, blends and separates foodstuffs and liquids with churning, pressing, sieving, grinding and filtering equipment;
- Processes tobacco leaves by hand or machine to make cigarettes, cigars, pipe and other tobacco products.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||15950|
|Beverages & tobacco||2952|
|Computer programming, etc||449|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- Enterprise types