Elaine W is Head of Safety for Lend Lease UK PPP. "On a day to day basis I'm involved in the strategic side of things... what we as a team need to do to meet the company's objectives. We have incident and injury free as our value, we don't want anybody to be hurt or ill by the work that we do". Elaine enjoyed science at school but after reading the job description for a Health and Safety Officer she decided that was what she wanted to do.
More information about Health and safety officers
Check out 2 videos about this career
DescriptionHealth and safety officers counsel employees to ensure and promote health and safety in the workplace and co-ordinate accident prevention and health and safety measures within an establishment or organisation.
QualificationsEntrants usually possess an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 in Occupational Health and Safety Practice. Higher level accredited qualifications (at Levels 4 to 6) are achievable via the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health.
- Inspects workplace areas to ensure compliance with health and safety legislation;
- Helps to develop effective health and safety policies and procedures and carries out risk assessments;
- Instructs workers in the proper use of protective clothing and safety devices and conducts routine tests on that equipment;
- Compiles statistics on accidents and injuries, analyses their causes and makes recommendations to management accordingly;
- Maintains contact with those off work due to illness;
- Counsels individuals on any personal or domestic problems affecting their work;
- Gives talks and distributes information on accident prevention, and keeps up to date with the relevant legislation.
for this job
|Architectural & related||16812|
|Public admin. & defence||3405|
|Land transport, etc||2380|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- West Midlands
- Enterprise types