Fiona M is a fashion adviser at John Lewis in Oxford Street. She advises individual clients. She loves it when they say, "Oh my God, I would never have picked this up. I would never have thought of putting that together like that but it works. It's fantastic."
More information about Sales and retail assistants
Check out 6 videos about this career
DescriptionSales and retail assistants demonstrate and sell a variety of goods and services in shops, stores, showrooms and similar establishments.
QualificationsNo minimum academic qualifications are required although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is typically provided on-the-job. Apprenticeships and NVQs/SVQs in Retail Operations are available at various levels.
- Discusses customer requirements, including type and price range of goods/services desired;
- Advises customer on selection, purchase, use and care of merchandise and quotes prices, discounts and delivery times;
- Advises customer making major purchase on credit terms and arranges finance as appropriate;
- Receives full or partial payment, checks validity of form of payment, writes or prints bill, receipt or docket and packages merchandise for customer;
- Arranges and replenishes goods on display stands, undertakes stock checks and assists with the receipt of deliveries from suppliers into the stock room;
- Handles returns and deals with customer complaints.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||56203|
|Sale of motor vehicles||28288|
|Sport & recreation||11307|
|Repair of goods||10736|
|Other personal service||6253|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- Enterprise types