Gary I is the contract sales manager at Ulster Carpets in Portadown - "We supply primarily five star hotels around the world and we develop carpeting schemes for those hotels so a lot of my job is actually involved with speaking to designers and architects, coming up with design schemes". After gaining a degree in French and German, Gary thought he wanted to teach and took a placement opportunity while waiting for the teacher training course to begin. Although he enjoyed the work, he realised it wasn't for him and found work in the Sales Department of a linen company. The best thing for him is when he can make a presentation about Ulster carpets using his foreign language skills.
Check out 14 videos about this career
DescriptionSales accounts and business development managers plan, organise and undertake market research to meet the requirements of an organisation’s marketing and sales policies.
QualificationsEntrants to the professional qualifications of the Chartered Institute of Marketing require GCSEs/S grades, A levels/H grades, a BTEC/SQA award, an Advanced GNVQ/GSVQ Level III, a degree or equivalent qualification and/or relevant experience. NVQs/SVQs in sales and qualifications from other relevant professional bodies are available.
- Liaises with other senior staff to determine the range of goods or services to be sold, contributes to the development of sales strategies and setting of sales targets;
- Discusses employer’s or client’s requirements, carries out surveys and analyses customers’ reactions to product, packaging, price, etc.;
- Compiles and analyses sales figures, prepares proposals for marketing campaigns and promotional activities and undertakes market research;
- Handles customer accounts;
- Recruits and trains junior sales staff;
- Produces reports and recommendations concerning marketing and sales strategies for senior management;
- Keeps up to date with products and competitors.
for this job
|Services to buildings||30380|
|Head offices, etc||25679|
|Computer programming, etc||21966|
|Architectural & related||14643|
|Sale of motor vehicles||13601|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- Northern Ireland
- Enterprise types