Guy P is an HR manager for East Belfast Mission. He has a masters in electrical engineering and a degree in theology, but still found it difficult to find a job - "...which was a bit scary for me actually cos I thought I've all these qualifications, I feel like I've got all these skills and I couldn't get a job anywhere. I think I was maybe about six months before I finally got a job... Being honest with yourself is sometimes one of the most difficult things possible because you want to please your mum and dad or you want to please your friends or because you perceive that this type of career has higher status and higher rewards".
Check out 8 videos about this career
DescriptionHuman resource managers and directors plan, organise and direct the personnel, training and industrial relations policies of organisations, advise on resource allocation and utilisation problems, measure the effectiveness of an organisation’s systems, methods and procedures and advise on, plan and implement procedures to improve utilisation of labour, equipment and materials.
QualificationsThere are no pre-set entry standards, although entry is most common with a degree or equivalent qualification. Off- and on-the-job training is provided and professional qualifications are available. NVQs/SVQs in relevant subjects are available at levels 3, 4 and 5.
- Determines staffing needs;
- Oversees the preparation of job descriptions, drafts advertisements and interviews candidates;
- Oversees the monitoring of employee performance and career development needs;
- Provides or arranges for provision of training courses;
- Undertakes industrial relations negotiations with employees’ representatives or trades unions;
- Develops and administers salary, health and safety and promotion policies;
- Examines and reports on company and departmental structures, chains of command, information flows, etc. and evaluates efficiency of existing operations;
- Considers alternative work procedures to improve productivity;
- Stays abreast of relevant legislation, considers its impact on the organisation’s HR strategy and recommends appropriate action.
for this job
|Legal & accounting||11461|
|Head offices, etc||9237|
|Computer programming, etc||5091|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- Northern Ireland
- Enterprise types