Ian H is Captain of a P & O cruise ship. He has worked for P & O ever since he left school, doing qualifications with them and working his way up to Captain. He considered jobs that didn't take him away from home for so long when he got married, but in the end he carried on cruising round the world.
More information about ship and hovercraft officers
Check out 3 videos about this career
Ship and hovercraft officers command and navigate ships and other craft, co-ordinate the activities of officers and deck and engine room ratings, operate and maintain communications equipment on board ship and undertake minor repairs to engines, boilers and other mechanical and electrical equipment.
Entrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades and A levels/H grades. Good colour vision without spectacles or contact lenses is required for some posts and candidates must undergo a medical examination. Training lasts three to four years and combines taught courses and assessed training at sea.
- Allocates duties to shipís officers and co-ordinates and directs the activities of deck and engine room ratings
- Directs or undertakes the operation of controls to inflate air cushions, run engines and propel and steer ships, hovercraft and other vessels
- Locates the position of vessel using electronic and other navigational aids such as charts and compasses and advises on navigation where appropriate
- Monitors the operation of engines, generators and other mechanical and electrical equipment and undertakes any necessary minor repairs
- Maintains radio contact with other vessels and coast stations
- Prepares watch keeping rota and maintains a look-out for other vessels or obstacles
- Maintains log of vesselís progress, weather conditions, conduct of crew, etc.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||1,023|
|Head offices, etc||768|
|Services to buildings||477|
Where to go nextInformation about Merchant Navy careers - Careers at Sea Merchant navy deck officer careers information - National Careers ServiceRoyal Navy careers
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Job location
- Enterprise types