Jacek grew up on a farm with his parents in Poland. He always had an interest in science and started thinking about food science from an early age. He moved to Krakow to study food technology at university. As part of his course he had the opportunity to travel to the UK. He really enjoyed spending time in England and when he completed his degree he took the very brave step of moving to England to find a job. His risk worked out and he now loves living and working in the UK.
More information about Laboratory technicians
Check out 10 videos about this career
DescriptionLaboratory technicians carry out routine laboratory tests and checks, and perform a variety of technical support functions requiring the application of established or prescribed procedures and techniques to assist scientists with their research, development, analysis and testing, and to verify the physical, chemical and other characteristics of materials and products.
QualificationsEntry varies from employer to employer. Entrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades, an appropriate BTEC/SQA award or a GNVQ/GSVQ. Professional qualifications, NVQs/SVQs at various levels, and apprenticeships are available in some areas of work. Good eyesight, and in some cases, normal colour vision are also required.
- Sets up and assists with the construction and the development of scientific apparatus for experimental, demonstration or other purposes;
- Prepares and analyses body fluids, secretions and/or tissue to detect infections or to examine the effects of different drugs;
- Grows cultures of bacteria and viruses, prepares tissue sections and other organic and inorganic material for examination and stains and fixes slides for microscope work;
- Operates and services specialised scientific equipment, undertakes prescribed measurements and analyses and ensures that sterile conditions necessary for some equipment are maintained;
- Records and collates data obtained from experimental work and documents all work carried out.
for this job
|Architectural & related||10569|
|Public admin. & defence||3971|
|Coke & refining; Chemicals,etc||3028|
Where to go next
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- West Midlands
- Focus On