Jackie A is a PCV driver, for Lewisham Council. She drives a bus for elderly people, young people, and people with all kinds of disabilities that really can't use London Transport. When she left school she and her friend worked in hotels in Germany. When she came back she worked for the BBC as a waitress in the boardroom. She needed to change jobs when she had children so that she had more flexible hours. She would have liked to have done better at school.
Check out 1 videos about this career
DescriptionBus and coach drivers drive road passenger-carrying vehicles such as buses, coaches and mini-buses.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements, though candidates must be in possession of a full car driving licence. All bus and coach drivers must pass the Passenger Carrying Vehicle (PCV) test. This incorporates a theoretical examination and assessed driving. Entrants to the PCV test must be at least 18 years old. NVQs/SVQs in Transporting Passengers by Road are available at Levels 2 and 3.
- Checks tyres, brakes, lights, oil, water and fuel levels and general condition of the vehicle before start of journey;
- Drives single- and double-decked vehicle over pre-determined route, complying with traffic regulations and keeping to time schedule;
- Stops and opens and closes doors at pre-arranged places to allow passengers to board and alight, observing regulations concerning the number of passengers carried;
- May collect fares from passengers and issue tickets or ensure that they use a ticket machine;
- May plan routes in conjunction with private hirer and assist with loading and unloading of luggage;
- Balances cash taken with tickets sold and may be responsible for cleanliness of vehicle;
- Maintains records of journey times, mileage and hours worked.
for this job
|Land transport, etc||88872|
|Public admin. & defence||3015|
|Head offices, etc||848|
|Rubber & plastic||785|
|Legal & accounting||534|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- Enterprise types