Jade always liked science and engineering but after her watching her brother have a negative experience of university, she was not sure whether she wanted to study engineering at university. She decided to apply for an apprenticeship after completing her A-levels and now feels that she made the right choice. She enjoys rugby and plays for the England student team.
More information about Engineering technicians
Check out 13 videos about this career
DescriptionEngineering technicians perform a variety of technical support functions to assist engineers with the design, development, operation, installation and maintenance of engineering systems and constructions.
QualificationsEntrants to training usually posses GCSEs/S grades. Vocational training consists either of full-time study for a BTEC/SQA award followed by two years on-the-job training, or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 or 4. An NVQ/SVQ in Aircraft Engineering Maintenance at Level 3 plus further professional qualifications are required to become a licensed aircraft engineer.
- Plans and prepares work and test schedules based on specifications and drawings;
- Sets up equipment, undertakes tests, takes readings, performs calculations and records and interprets data;
- Prepares estimates of materials, equipment and labour required for engineering projects;
- Diagnoses and detects faults and implements procedures to maintain efficient operation of systems and equipment;
- Inspects completed aircraft maintenance work to certify that it meets standards and the aircraft is ready for operation;
- Visits and advises clients on the use and servicing of mechanical and chemical engineering products and services.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||12089|
|Public admin. & defence||6328|
|Architectural & related||4142|
|Other trans. equipment||3436|
|Repair & installation||3199|
Where to go next
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- North West England
- Focus On
- Enterprise types