Jade always liked science and engineering but after her watching her brother have a negative experience of university, she was not sure whether she wanted to study engineering at university. She decided to apply for an apprenticeship after completing her A-levels and now feels that she made the right choice. She enjoys rugby and plays for the England student team.
Check out 13 videos about this career
DescriptionEngineering technicians perform a variety of technical support functions to assist engineers with the design, development, operation, installation and maintenance of engineering systems and constructions.
QualificationsEntrants to training usually posses GCSEs/S grades. Vocational training consists either of full-time study for a BTEC/SQA award followed by two years on-the-job training, or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 or 4. An NVQ/SVQ in Aircraft Engineering Maintenance at Level 3 plus further professional qualifications are required to become a licensed aircraft engineer.
- Plans and prepares work and test schedules based on specifications and drawings;
- Sets up equipment, undertakes tests, takes readings, performs calculations and records and interprets data;
- Prepares estimates of materials, equipment and labour required for engineering projects;
- Diagnoses and detects faults and implements procedures to maintain efficient operation of systems and equipment;
- Inspects completed aircraft maintenance work to certify that it meets standards and the aircraft is ready for operation;
- Visits and advises clients on the use and servicing of mechanical and chemical engineering products and services.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||12089|
|Public admin. & defence||6328|
|Architectural & related||4142|
|Other trans. equipment||3436|
|Repair & installation||3199|
Where to go next
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- North West England
- Focus On
- Enterprise types