Jane T is a Senior Gardener at a National Trust property. She loved helping her grandad in the garden during her school holidays. So when she recovered from cancer eleven years ago, and was thinking about how to change her lifestyle, a career in gardening was the answer.
More information about Gardeners and landscape gardeners
Check out 4 videos about this career
DescriptionGardeners and landscape gardeners cultivate flowers, trees, shrubs and other plants in public and private gardens, construct features to improve the appearance of existing terrain, and cut and lay turf.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements. NVQs/SVQs in Horticulture are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3. Professional qualifications are also available.
- Levels ground and installs drainage system as required;
- Prepares soil and plants and transplants, prunes, weeds and otherwise tends plant life;
- Protects plants from pests and diseases;
- Cuts and lays turf using hand and machine tools and repairs damaged turf;
- Prepares or interprets garden design plans;
- Moves soil to alter surface contour of land using mechanical equipment and constructs paths, rockeries, ponds and other features;
- Performs general garden maintenance.
for this job
|Sport & recreation||16801|
|Other personal service||9552|
|Computer programming, etc||9409|
|Food & beverage services||7070|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East Midlands
- Enterprise types