Jermaine S is a Carpenter at Addenbrookes Hospital. "I like to be asked to do something and be able to see it in my head before I do it. And then after I've done it have a look and see if it's the same thing I saw before in my head. " He has many aspirations for the future, and would like to pass his knowledge on to the next generation.
Check out 1 videos about this career
DescriptionCarpenters and joiners construct, erect, install and repair wooden structures and fittings used in internal and external frameworks and cut, shape, fit and assemble wood to make templates, jigs, scale models and scenic equipment for theatres.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine job requirements;
- Selects and measures appropriate wood and cuts, shapes and drills to specification using saws, planes, chisels and other power or hand tools;
- Aligns and fixes prepared wood pieces by screwing, nailing, gluing and dowelling to form frames, shop fronts, counter units, decking, theatrical sets, furniture, small wooden craft, scale models and wooden templates;
- Checks accuracy of work with square, rule and spirit level;
- Maintains and repairs woodwork and fittings.
for this job
|Other trans. equipment||4555|
|Services to buildings||2728|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- Focus On
- Enterprise types