Joanne M is a Technical Coordinator in the Computer Aided Design Department at Halcrow. She uses computers to create plans. She loved geography and she loved computers - so she answered an ad for jobs in computer mapping. She likes to visit the finished buildings and structures she has drawn.
More information about Draughtspersons
Check out 1 videos about this career
DescriptionDraughtspersons prepare technical drawings, plans, maps, charts and similar items.
QualificationsEntrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades, BTEC/ SQA awards, an appropriate GNVQ/GSVQ or A levels/H grades. Further training consists of courses of study and supervised practical experience.
- Examines design specification to determine general requirements;
- Considers the suitability of different materials with regard to the dimensions and weight and calculates the likely fatigue, stresses, tolerances, bonds and threads;
- Prepares design drawings, plans or sketches and checks feasibility of construction and compliance with safety regulations;
- Prepares detailed drawings, plans, charts or maps that include natural features, desired surface finish, elevations, electrical circuitry and other details as required;
- Arranges for completed drawings to be reproduced for use as working drawings.
for this job
|Architectural & related||8694|
|Computer programming, etc||1188|
|Legal & accounting||1041|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- Enterprise types