Kevin M is a Circus Performer with Nofitstate Circus, specialising in aerial, fire and stilt walking. He came to the UK from Jamaica. He hadn't realised that you could have a financially viable career using arts or creative skills. "I never understood that I would be getting paid for this. I just started to do it as fun, as escapism."
Check out 18 videos about this career
DescriptionActors, entertainers and presenters sing, portray roles in dramatic productions, perform comedy routines, gymnastic feats and tricks of illusion, train animals to perform and perform with them, and introduce and present radio and television programmes.
QualificationsEntry does not depend on academic qualifications although some drama schools require candidates to have GCSEs/S grades or A levels/H grades or a degree. Entry can be based upon an audition. Membership of the appropriate trade union is usually required. NVQs/SVQs in performing arts are available.
- Studies script, play or book and prepares and rehearses interpretation;
- Assumes character created by a playwright or author and communicates this to an audience;
- Performs singing, comedy, acrobatic, illusion and conjuring routines;
- Trains animals to perform entertaining routines and may perform with them;
- Introduces and presents radio and television programmes, reads news bulletins and makes announcements;
- Conducts interviews and prepares reports for news broadcasts, current affairs programmes and documentaries;
- Plays pre-recorded music at nightclubs, discotheques, and private functions.
for this job
|Other personal service||14232|
|Arts & entertainment||8509|
|Sport & recreation||7778|
|Film & music||1172|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- Enterprise types