Linda M has worked as a hand finisher for Ulster Carpet Mills for fourteen years. When Linda got divorced she realised she needed a job where she could spend more time with her children, and she is very proud of how they have turned out - "One's graduated from university and the other one's a classroom nursery school teacher". But she wishes she had concentrated more during her own education, and says "Finish your education and go as far as you can in school before you quit or even think of quitting school."
More information about Quality control and planning engineers
Check out 1 videos about this career
DescriptionQuality control and planning engineers plan production schedules, work sequences, and manufacturing and processing procedures to ensure accuracy, quality and reliability.
QualificationsQuality control and planning engineers usually possess an accredited university degree. After qualifying, periods of appropriate training and experience are required before membership of a chartered engineering institution is achieved. Incorporated engineers possess an accredited university degree, BTEC/SQA award or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 4. All routes are followed by periods of appropriate training and relevant experience.
- Devises inspection, testing and evaluation methods for bought-in materials, components, semi-finished and finished products;
- Ensures accuracy of machines, jigs, fixtures, gauges and other manufacturing and testing equipment;
- Prepares work flow charts for individual departments and compiles detailed instructions on processes, work methods and quality and safety standards for workers;
- Analyses plans, drawings, specifications and safety, quality, accuracy, reliability and contractual requirements;
- Prepares plan of sequence of operations and completion dates for each phase of production or processing;
- Oversees effective implementation of adopted processes, schedules and procedures.
for this job
|Architectural & related||3898|
|Computer programming, etc||2158|
|Motor vehicles, etc||2068|
|Head offices, etc||1810|
|Repair & installation||1803|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Job location
- Northern Ireland
- Enterprise types