Lorna D is a Landscape Architect at Halcrow - "I create spaces that people want to live in, and also open up the opportunity for encouraging wildlife, and encouraging habitat creation." But she chose the subject by chance. "I wrote a list of all the courses that I could do with what I'd done at school - which was Geography, Art and Design, and Design and Technology. So having written this list down, I shut my eyes, and I got a pen, and I stuck it in the page. And it stuck on Landscape Architecture." Now she had decided that it was a good choice, and it really is something she wants to keep on doing.
More information about Gardeners and landscape gardeners
Check out 4 videos about this career
DescriptionGardeners and landscape gardeners cultivate flowers, trees, shrubs and other plants in public and private gardens, construct features to improve the appearance of existing terrain, and cut and lay turf.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements. NVQs/SVQs in Horticulture are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3. Professional qualifications are also available.
- Levels ground and installs drainage system as required;
- Prepares soil and plants and transplants, prunes, weeds and otherwise tends plant life;
- Protects plants from pests and diseases;
- Cuts and lays turf using hand and machine tools and repairs damaged turf;
- Prepares or interprets garden design plans;
- Moves soil to alter surface contour of land using mechanical equipment and constructs paths, rockeries, ponds and other features;
- Performs general garden maintenance.
for this job
|Sport & recreation||16801|
|Other personal service||9552|
|Computer programming, etc||9409|
|Food & beverage services||7070|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Job location
- Enterprise types