Mack A left school at sixteen to pursue a career in the British Army's catering corps. When Mack left the army at 24 a chance meeting led to a "significant career break" for him as a Catering Manager and even though he "didn't feel ready for the job" he worked hard and learnt all he could from training courses. He is now Operations Director for contract kitchen company Baxter Storey.
Check out 3 videos about this career
DescriptionPurchasing managers and directors (not retail) plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the purchasing functions of industrial, commercial, government organisations and public agencies to ensure cost-effectiveness.
QualificationsAlthough not restricted to a particular qualification, entry is most common with A levels/H grades, a BTEC/SQA award, S/NVQs at level 3 or above, or a degree or equivalent qualification. Off- and on-the-job training is provided and professional qualifications are available. Chartered status may also be achieved.
- Determines what goods, services and equipment need to be sourced;
- Devises purchasing policies, decides on whether orders should be put out to tender and evaluates suppliers’ bids;
- Negotiates prices and contracts with suppliers and draws up contract documents;
- Arranges for quality checks of incoming goods and ensures suppliers deliver on time;
- Interviews suppliers’ representatives and visits trade fairs;
- Researches and identifies new products and suppliers;
- Stays abreast of and ensures adherence to relevant legislation regarding tendering and procurement procedures.
for this job
|Architectural & related||3635|
|Head offices, etc||3601|
|Public admin. & defence||2442|
|Services to buildings||1627|