Mariusz R is a Heating Systems Designer for E.ON. He designed communal heating systems in Poland, then moved to the UK. He was despairing of finding a job because there aren't many of this type of heating system in the UK yet, but fortunately E.ON found him and offered him a job.
More information about plumbers and heating and ventilating engineers
Check out 1 video about this career
Jobholders in this unit group assemble, install, maintain and repair plumbing fixtures, heating and ventilating systems and pipes and pipeline systems in commercial, residential and industrial premises and public buildings.
There are no formal academic requirements although GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. NVQs/SVQs in Mechanical Engineering Services are available at Levels 2 and 3. Apprenticeships are available for plumbing and lead to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine layout of system
- Measures and cuts required lengths of copper, lead, steel, iron, aluminium or plastic using hand or machine tools
- Installs fittings such as storage tanks, cookers, baths, toilets, taps and valves, refrigerators, boilers, radiators and fires
- Tests completed installation for leaks and makes any necessary adjustments
- Attaches fittings and joins piping by welding, soldering, cementing, fusing, screwing or other methods
- Repairs burst pipes and mechanical and combustion faults and replaces faulty taps, washers, valves, etc.
for this job
|Services to buildings||3,660|
|Rubber & plastic||2,264|
Where to go nextAn overview of information for the energy and utilities sectorE.ON UKSkills Council for the Energy and Utilities Sector
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- East Midlands
- Enterprise types