Matt B is a Fisheries Technical Officer for the Environment Agency. "I'm here to improve river habitat, improve fish populations and also improve access for anglers." He says "My dad wanted to do marine biology and his dad said 'be an accountant', and my dad regretted to this day that he's never done marine biology. I think he's a little bit envious but he just said to follow your dreams".
More information about environment professionals
Check out 11 videos about this career
Jobholders in this unit group investigate, address, and advise on a variety of terrestrial and marine environment and resource management issues, including the development and implementation of environmental policies and remedies that address the impacts of human activities and industrial processes on the environment.
A good degree in a relevant subject is normally a minimum entry qualification, and some employers will require a postgraduate qualification. Relevant work experience to complement academic qualifications is highly desirable. Professional qualifications across a wide range of areas of work are available.
- Identifies contamination of land, air or water and assesses any adverse impact on the environment
- Advises on and provides solutions for mitigating the effects of such contamination
- Implements remediation works
- Carries out environment-related desk-based research and fieldwork to collect, analyse and interpret data to determine their validity, quality and significance
- Carries out environmental audits and environmental impact assessments
- Communicates scientific and technical information to relevant audiences in an appropriate form, via reports, workshops, educational events, public hearings
- Assists organisations to conduct their activities in an environmentally appropriate manner
- Implements, reviews and advises on regulatory and legislative standards, guidelines and policies
- Provides professional guidance to clients, government agencies, regulators and other relevant bodies, having regard for sustainable approaches and solutions.
for this job
|Computer programming, etc||5,916|
|Head offices, etc||2,878|
|Architectural & related||2,374|
|Public admin. & defence||1,547|
|Legal & accounting||1,253|