Mel L works in Client Services for Fidelity, an investment management company. She always wanted to go into banking, and worked for a number of companies until she was made redundant in 2003. "It was quite a shock, it was almost like - you're not wanted. And it sort of bruises your ego a bit. Because you think - what's wrong with me? Why don't you want me? I think I then went and sat in a wine bar with one or two of the other people and had a drink, and thought well actually this isn't such a bad thing, you know, I've been made redundant you get a redundancy package... Then, perfectly, this job at Fidelity came along."
More information about Finance and investment analysts and advisers
Check out 5 videos about this career
DescriptionJob holders in this unit group advise customers, who may be individuals, companies or specialist groups, on the purchase of investments, insurance, mortgages, pensions and other financial services and products.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements although entrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades and a degree in a relevant subject is sometimes required. Training may be undertaken in-house or entrants may attend courses run by professional institutions. Registration with a regulatory authority is required in some positions.
- Predicts the likely long- and short-term future performance of securities and other financial products and advises upon what will be an appropriate investment for their clients;
- Analyses the financial position of clients, taking into account outgoings, dependants and commitments;
- Advises on the relative merits of pension schemes, insurance policies and mortgages that best meet the needs of clients given their personal circumstances;
- Monitors information on the socio-economic environment and interprets the implications of such information for their clients;
- Prepares summary reports of findings for fund managers;
- Keeps up to date with financial products, legislation and requirements for compliance with the relevant regulatory authority;
- Identifies and attracts new clients by arranging visits and explaining the benefits of financial products.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||39277|
|Public admin. & defence||9175|
|Legal & accounting||8385|
|Insurance & pensions||3890|
|Architectural & related||3091|