Michael B works as an IT Senior Systems Administrator but his real passion is archaeology which he studied at university. Michael works in IT - but he funded his own archaeology Master's course. He says "I plan to move up to an IT Manager's position, but continue my archaeology... I happen to be working on material from a site in the Sudan"
More information about IT specialist managers
Check out 8 videos about this career
DescriptionIT specialist managers plan, organise, manage and coordinate the provision of specialist IT services and functions in an organisation.
QualificationsEntrants usually possess a degree or equivalent qualification, although entry with other academic qualifications and/or significant relevant experience is possible. There is a variety of vocational, professional and postgraduate qualifications available.
- Plans, coordinates and manages the organisation’s IT provision or a specialist area of IT activity;
- Liaises with users, senior staff and internal/external clients to clarify IT requirements and development needs;
- Takes responsibility for managing the development of a specialist aspect of IT provision such as user support, network operations, service delivery or quality control;
- Supervises the technical team and coordinates training;
- Plans and monitors work and maintenance schedules to ensure agreed service levels are achieved;
- Reports on IT activities to senior management.
for this job
|Computer programming, etc||28674|
|Legal & accounting||23683|
|Head offices, etc||16653|
|Public admin. & defence||6025|