Michael F is a Conductor for First ScotRail. He takes great pride in doing a good job and being able to provide for his family. When he was made redundant from a good job in the telecommunications industry it was a big blow. But he threw himself into getting employed again and that's when he started on the railways.
More information about Other drivers and transport operatives n.e.c.
Check out 2 videos about this career
DescriptionJobholders in this unit group monitor the activities of bus drivers, conductors and other road transport depot drivers, undertake various tasks related to water transportation, and perform other transportation tasks not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 823: Other Drivers and Transport Operatives.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is provided both off- and on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs in Organising Road Transport Operations and Marine Operations are available at Level 2.
- Checks that vehicles run as scheduled, monitors number of passengers travelling particular routes and makes recommendations for improvement of services;
- Organises relief and replacement crews as necessary, ensures compliance with regulations regarding the carrying of passengers and luggage, and submits reports of any irregularities;
- Checks that goods have been correctly loaded into vehicle, monitors and records information from tachograph, and arranges for servicing, refuelling, cleaning and repair of depot vehicles;
- Operates and maintains lighthouses and navigational lights in harbours, and assists in mooring craft;
- Operates and maintains locks, opens and closes moving bridges across inland waterways and docks, and measures depth of water in canals, rivers, etc. to determine possible dumping or dredging sites;
- Guides horses or ponies and drives horse drawn vehicles to transport goods and passengers.
for this job
|Sale of motor vehicles||2109|
|Land transport, etc||1931|
|Sport & recreation||1269|
|Services to buildings||1022|
|Public admin. & defence||744|