Michael K is a second year Trainee Solicitor at Farrer & Co. He says, "What I enjoy the most about my job is the variety because as a trainee here at Farrer's we have to change our jobs every 4 months... so every 4 months we're doing something entirely different".
Check out 16 videos about this career
DescriptionSolicitors advise and act on behalf of individuals, organisations, businesses and government departments in legal matters.
QualificationsEntry to training usually requires a qualifying law degree or postgraduate diploma. Graduates in subjects other than law must first take a one-year conversion course. All entrants undertake a one year legal practice course, followed by a two-year training contract.
- Draws up contracts, leases, wills and other legal documents;
- Undertakes legal business on behalf of client in areas of business law, criminal law, probate, conveyancing and litigation, and acts as trustee or executor if required;
- Instructs counsel in higher and lower courts and pleads cases in lower courts as appropriate;
- Scrutinises statements, reports and legal documents relevant to the case being undertaken and prepares papers for court;
- Represents clients in court.
for this job
|Legal & accounting||92179|
|Public admin. & defence||18560|
|Architectural & related||1291|
|Other personal service||1286|
|Head offices, etc||1093|
|Sport & recreation||817|