Michael P found school restrictive but thrived at Art College. Eventually, attracted by a job that gave him the opportunity to learn to drive, he found himself at the Eden Project as a Pest Control Officer. He has the skill, patience and problem solving abilities to take a pro-active approach to keeping the site pest free, and is thoroughly content with his responsibilities and the independence his role offers.
More information about Pest control officers
Check out 1 videos about this career
DescriptionPest control officers investigate the presence of pests that are hazardous to public health or cause nuisance, lay traps to capture pests and treat areas of infestation.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry qualifications, though some employers may expect entrants to possess GCSEs/S grades. Training is provided on-the-job, supplemented by specialist courses covering different aspects of pest control.
- Receives reports from public, property owners and authorities regarding the presence of pests and infestations;
- Visits sites to investigate the presence of rodents, infestations and other pests that may be hazardous to public health;
- Lays traps to capture pests, and fumigates and disinfects areas to remove infestations;
- Advises property owners on courses of action to prevent the return of pests;
- Liaises with environmental health officers, housing officers and other relevant authorities where measures on a large scale are required to remove pests;
- Returns to sites to examine contents of traps laid and the continued presence of reported pests;
- Treats wood for effects of termites, woodworm and other infestations of timber.
for this job
|Services to buildings||7893|
|Coke & refining; Chemicals,etc||219|
|Public admin. & defence||150|
|Rubber & plastic||40|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- South West England
- Enterprise types