Mohammed V is the employment and training manager at Birmingham Disability Resource Centre. His degree is in chemistry, but he couldn't find a suitable job in that area, so he started working in the voluntary sector, raising money for Islamic Relief. Then he moved to the centre as an employment officer.
More information about Human resources and industrial relations officers
Check out 11 videos about this career
DescriptionHuman resources and industrial relations officers conduct research and advise on recruitment, training, staff appraisal and industrial relations policies and assist specialist managers with negotiations on behalf of a commercial enterprise, trade union or other organisation.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements although most entrants possess a degree or equivalent qualification and/or relevant experience. Many employers expect staff to gain membership of the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development through study for professional qualifications. NVQs/SVQs in this area are available at Levels 3 and 4.
- Undertakes research into pay differentials, productivity and efficiency bonuses and other payments;
- Develops and recommends personnel and industrial relations policies, assists with their implementation and drafts staff handbooks;
- Assists with negotiations between management and employees or trades unions concerning pay and conditions of employment;
- Interviews candidates for jobs;
- Advises on training and recruitment, negotiating procedures, salary agreements and other personnel and industrial relations issues;
- Deals with grievance and disciplinary procedures, and with staff welfare and counselling provision.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||11117|
|Head offices, etc||10540|
|Services to buildings||4618|
|Architectural & related||3341|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- West Midlands
- East of England
- Enterprise types