Murray C is a Contracts Manager at Pendrich Height Services, a company which employs steeplejacks. He's been a steeplejack himself, and a stonemason. "I think I've done my time of the hard graft and hard work and now I'm reaping the profits, as they say, by being in the office and working."
Check out 4 videos about this career
DescriptionThose working in construction and building trades n.e.c. undertake a variety of tasks in the construction, alteration, maintenance and repair of buildings, steeples, industrial chimneys and other tall structures, and of underwater structures not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 531: Construction and Building Trades.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.
- Selects, measures and cuts steel bars, rods and wire to required lengths, positions and fixes reinforcements into position and tensions as required using hydraulic jacks;
- Lays bricks, tiles and building blocks to construct, repair and decorate buildings;
- Pours and levels concrete, prepares surfaces for painting and plastering, and mixes and applies plaster and paint;
- Installs plumbing fixtures, woodwork structures and fittings, and sets glass in frames;
- Maintains and repairs steeples, industrial chimneys and other high structures, and installs and replaces lightning conductors;
- Erects and repairs fencing;
- Checks and puts on diving suit and equipment and descends underwater to carry out construction, maintenance and repair tasks on sites such as oil rigs, harbours, bridges etc.
for this job
|Land transport, etc||7271|
|Services to buildings||6066|
|Food & beverage services||5639|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- Enterprise types