Ned joined the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme straight after completing a Maths Degree at the University of Nottingham. He always felt that he'd enjoy a public sector career and healthcare appealed to him as his mum has a background of working at a hospital school and his father was a psychiatrist.
Check out 15 videos about this career
DescriptionManagers and directors in this unit group plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the resources and activities of health care providers and purchasers at both district and unit levels.
QualificationsEntrants require a degree or equivalent qualification, a professional qualification and/or relevant experience. Off- and on-the-job training is provided through management training schemes. The nature of schemes varies between regions and occupational areas.
- Implements policies of the board, ensures statutory procedures are followed, with particular emphasis on patient safety and the management of risk;
- Liaises with health care professionals to determine short and long-term needs and how to meet these objectives within budgetary constraints;
- Oversees the day-to-day management of the unit or service and provides leadership to staff;
- Uses statistical information to monitor performance and assist with planning;
- Negotiates and manages contracts with providers and purchasers of health care services;
- Manages staff, including recruitment, appraisal and development;
- Monitors and reports upon the effectiveness of services with a view to improving the efficiency of health care provision;
- Coordinates the promotion of public health and wellbeing in the actions and policies of public agencies and their social partners;
- Monitors and reports upon the state of public health and wellbeing.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||5034|
|Head offices, etc||439|