Nicola H is a self-employed Peformance Coach. She was determined to carve out a career for herself even though she had her first child at sixteen. She went on an international exchange to France, travelling round the country and performing. That's when she realised what she wanted to do with her life. She signed up with the Prince's Trust and took 15 young musicians to Germany.
Check out 2 videos about this career
DescriptionSpeech and language therapists are responsible for the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of speech, language, fluency and voice disorders caused by disability, injury or illness.
QualificationsEntrants require a recognised graduate or postgraduate degree that encompasses both theory and clinical practice. Successful completion of these courses leads to eligibility for a certificate to practice and membership of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists. Full membership is granted after completion of a year of supervised, post-qualifying experience.
- Assesses, tests and diagnoses a client’s condition;
- Designs and initiates appropriate rehabilitation and/or remedial programmes of treatment;
- Treats speech and language disorders by coaching and counselling clients or through the use of artificial communication devices;
- Attends case conferences and liaises with other specialists such as doctors, teachers, social workers and psychologists;
- Counsels relatives to help cope with the problems created by a patient’s disability;
- Writes reports and maintains client caseloads.
for this job
|Services to buildings||198|
|Public admin. & defence||121|
|Other personal service||96|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Personal influences
- Job location
- West Midlands
- Enterprise types