Nicole H works for IBM as a Technical Specialist. She says that during her biology PhD "I did a lot of work with bioinformatics, statistics and computing and a guy in the IT department recommended IBM". Her job is varied "You might have a supermarket who's got lots of data on sales and they might want to do analytics on that to help them decide what promotions, what offers they want to put on, how they want to arrange the layout of their store, so it can help with those kind of decisions."
Check out 8 videos about this career
DescriptionIT specialist managers plan, organise, manage and coordinate the provision of specialist IT services and functions in an organisation.
QualificationsEntrants usually possess a degree or equivalent qualification, although entry with other academic qualifications and/or significant relevant experience is possible. There is a variety of vocational, professional and postgraduate qualifications available.
- Plans, coordinates and manages the organisation’s IT provision or a specialist area of IT activity;
- Liaises with users, senior staff and internal/external clients to clarify IT requirements and development needs;
- Takes responsibility for managing the development of a specialist aspect of IT provision such as user support, network operations, service delivery or quality control;
- Supervises the technical team and coordinates training;
- Plans and monitors work and maintenance schedules to ensure agreed service levels are achieved;
- Reports on IT activities to senior management.
for this job
|Computer programming, etc||28674|
|Legal & accounting||23683|
|Head offices, etc||16653|
|Public admin. & defence||6025|