Paul M is a Maintenance Assistant at Caythorpe Court, a PGL activity centre. He left school at 15 and took a course he hoped would help him get into the RAF, but it didn't. When he came to PGL he intended it to be a temporary job, to give him time to decide what to do next. But he discovered he had a talent for maintenance, and he enjoys it, so he hopes to do some qualifications and make a good career out of maintenance or building.
More information about
Check out 7 videos about this career
DescriptionJob holders within this unit group manage shopping centres, residential areas and private estates, and arrange for the sale, purchase, rental and leasing of property on behalf of clients and employers.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements, although entrants usually possess a BTEC/SQA award, a degree or equivalent qualification. Apprenticeships are available in some areas. Many employers expect the attainment of membership to a relevant professional body.
- Determines staffing, financial, material and other short- and long-term requirements;
- Manages general upkeep, maintenance and security of the estate’s amenities;
- Makes sure that the amenities meet health and safety standards and legal requirements;
- Advises on energy efficiency;
- Discusses client’s requirements and may advise client on the purchase of property and land for investment and other purposes;
- Conducts or arranges for structural surveys of properties and undertakes any necessary valuations of property or agricultural land, and deals with grant and subsidy applications;
- Negotiates land or property purchases and sales or leases and tenancy agreements and arranges legal formalities with solicitors, building societies and other parties;
- Maintains or arranges for the maintenance of estate accounts and records and produces financial forecasts;
- Acts as arbiter in disputes between landlord and tenant and ensures that both fulfil their legal obligations;
- Examines and assesses housing applications, advises on rent levels, investigates complaints and liaises with tenants’ association and social workers to resolve any family problems.
for this job
|Services to buildings||33423|
|Architectural & related||9053|
|Food & beverage services||6492|
|Public admin. & defence||5772|
|Sport & recreation||4332|