Paul T is Managing Director for Mycorrhizal Systems Ltd. He says, "Mycorrhizal Systems grows a type of fungus called truffles, so we set up plantations across the world to grow this fungus... (I'm) truffle mad, I think that's a fair representation!".
More information about
Check out 2 videos about this career
DescriptionManagers and proprietors in this unit group plan, organise and co-ordinate the activities and resources of farming establishments cultivating arable crops, fruits, trees and shrubs, and/or raising cattle, sheep, pigs and poultry. Managers and proprietors in horticulture oversee the production of plants for wholesale and/or retail.
QualificationsWhilst no formal academic qualifications are required by proprietors in this area, most farm and horticultural managers have a vocational agricultural qualification (such as a BTEC/SQA award) and prior practical farming experience. Many farm and horticultural management jobs require a degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant subject. A small number of large farm and farm consultancy companies run graduate management training schemes. NVQs/SVQs in Agriculture are available at Level 4.
- Determines financial, staffing and other short and long-term needs;
- Produces and maintains records of production, finance and breeding;
- Decides or advises on the types of crops and/or produce to be grown or livestock raised;
- Plans intensity and sequence of farm or horticultural operations and orders seed, fertiliser, equipment and other supplies;
- Markets and arranges for the sale of crops, livestock and other farm or horticultural produce.
for this job
|Services to buildings||3620|
|Rental & leasing||1980|
|Sport & recreation||590|
|Public admin. & defence||329|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- Enterprise types