"Learn those people skills and communication skills - it's the most important thing." With a background in art history, Philippa started out as a curator, before moving into project management. She is now responsible for bringing together the different people involved in large building projects and making sure information is shared so the right decisions can be made.
More information about Construction project managers and related professionals
Check out 6 videos about this career
DescriptionJob holders in this unit group manage and oversee major construction and civil engineering projects and major building contracts for quality of work, safety, timeliness and completion within budget; forecast travel patterns and develop strategies for managing the impact of traffic-related demand.
QualificationsEntrants normally possess a degree in a relevant subject or equivalent qualification and/or substantial work experience at an appropriate level. Further Continuing Professional Development is available in some areas.
- Draws up budgets and timescales for new construction projects based on clients’ requirements;
- Briefs project team, contractors and suppliers;
- Assembles information for invoicing at the end of projects;
- Plans work schedules for construction projects based on prior discussion with architects, surveyors etc.;
- Hires and may supervise site staff, establishes temporary site offices, takes delivery of materials;
- Regularly inspects and monitors progress and quality of work, ensures legal requirements are met;
- Identifies defects in work and proposes corrections;
- Records, monitors and reports progress;
- Forecasts the impact on traffic and transport of new developments (e.g. shopping centre);
- Assesses schemes to manage traffic such as congestion charging and parking controls;
- Examines accident ‘blackspots’ to improve road safety;
- Writes reports for funding bids and planning authorities and acts as expert witness.
for this job
|Architectural & related||20047|
|Head offices, etc||4876|
|Land transport, etc||4733|