Rezia W is a Weaver based at Cockpit Arts. She also teaches weaving. Her father hoped that she would be a doctor, but accepted that that wasn't what she wanted to do. Her school supported her interest in art and textiles and she has become an award-winning weaver.
Check out 2 videos about this career
DescriptionWeavers and knitters set up and operate hand and power operated looms and machines to weave fibre into fabrics and carpet, or to knit (by machine or by hand) garments and other articles from yarn.
QualificationsEntrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades or an appropriate BTEC/SQA award. Training is usually provided on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs in Manufacturing Textiles are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3 and in Products from Textiles at Levels 1 and 2.
- Prepares machine for operation by setting input packages, feeding thread, fibre or yarn through guides, rollers, tensioners and conditioning devices, and securing to output packages, spools or cards;
- Sets controls to produce article of specified size and pattern;
- Places fibre and yarn packages on machine and draws them through appropriate guides and tensioners;
- Monitors machine operation to detect broken threads of yarn, the evenness of warp tension and the quality of output;
- Removes completed garments and lengths of fabric from machine;
- Cleans and oils machine and reports any mechanical faults;
- Hand knits garments and other items according to pattern.
for this job
|Wearing apparel; Leather, etc||398|
|Services to buildings||350|
|Rubber & plastic||216|
|Food & beverage services||187|
|Repair & installation||125|