Rhona D is a Trainee Quantity Surveyor at construction consultants, Davis Langdon. She is in the final year of a part time degree and she is also working, which solves the student debt problem. She realises that she is a woman in a traditionally male role. It hasn't caused her any problems yet and she hopes it never does.
Check out 2 videos about this career
DescriptionQuantity surveyors advise on financial and contractual matters relating to, and prepare bills of quantities for, construction projects and provide other support functions concerning the financing and materials required for building projects.
QualificationsEntry is through professional training and membership of an appropriate professional organisation. Entry to professional examinations will require GCSEs/S grades and A levels/H grades, a BTEC/SQA award, a degree or equivalent qualification. Candidates usually undertake a period of probationary training and professional assessment.
- Liaises with client on project costs, formulates detailed cost plan and advises contractors and engineers to ensure that they remain within cost limit;
- Examines plans and specifications and prepares details of the material and labour required for the project;
- Prepares bills of quantities for use by contractors when tendering for work;
- Examines tenders received, advises client on the most acceptable and assists with preparation of a contract document;
- Measures and values work in progress and examines any deviations from original contract;
- Measures and values completed contract for authorisation of payment.
for this job
|Architectural & related||6186|
|Head offices, etc||1756|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- Focus On
- Enterprise types