Ricahrd Davis is a Cabinet Maker with NEJ Stephenson. Starting out with few qualifications as a wood machinist, Richard's drive, enthusiasm and creativity has got him a job as a cabinet maker. He also designs and makes guitars and furniture as a hobby. He goes home happy and says "you feel like you've done something and it's your life's purpose". His mum always said he should be a "fixer man".
More information about
Check out 6 videos about this career
DescriptionFurniture makers and other craft woodworkers make, repair and restore wooden furniture, decorative objects and other crafted pieces of woodwork.
QualificationsThere are no formal entry requirements, although entrants typically possess a variety of academic and vocational qualifications. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. A number of NVQs/SVQs and other vocational qualifications covering various aspects of furniture production and wood machining are available at various levels. Apprenticeships in Cabinet Making are available in some areas.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine job requirements and appropriate materials;
- Selects, measures, cuts and shapes wood using saws, chisels, planes, powered hand tools and woodworking machines;
- Assembles parts with crafted joints, nails, screws, dowels or adhesives and fits locks, catches, hinges, castors, drawers, shelves and other fittings;
- Removes, replaces or repairs damaged parts of wooden furniture;
- Measures floor area to be covered and lays wood blocks, parquet panels or hardwood strips;
- Matches and marks out veneers ready for cutting and examines and repairs defects in veneer or plywood sheets.
for this job
|Repair of goods||1101|
|Food & beverage services||1030|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- West Midlands
- East of England
- Enterprise types