Robert J is a Personal Trainer at a Virgin Active health club. He didn't do well in his AS levels - he had been spending a lot of time playing basketball. So he changed to BTEC sports science and excelled in that. "I think if I hadn't have failed at that point there on my AS levels, it wouldn't have given me the drive and passion to really work at what I've done now to get to where I am now."
More information about Sports coaches, instructors and officials
Check out 13 videos about this career
DescriptionSports coaches, instructors and officials work with amateur and professional sportsmen and women to enhance performance, encourage greater participation in sport, supervise recreational activities such as canoeing and mountaineering, and organise and officiate at sporting events according to established rules.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements although individuals must have experience in their sport and the relevant coaching and refereeing qualifications. Applicants to coaching courses must normally be over 18 years old and hold a first-aid certificate. Some courses encompass coaching awards within broader programmes of study. NVQs/SVQs in coaching are available in the context of certain sports. Background checks including a CRB check are required for those working with children.
- Coaches teams or individuals by demonstrating techniques and directing training and exercise sessions;
- Controls team selection and discipline and recruits ancillary staff such as coaches or physiotherapists;
- Monitors and analyses technique and performance, and determines how future improvements can be made;
- Deals with administrative aspects such as arranging matches, contests or appearances for athlete or team, and organising required transport and accommodation;
- Provides information and develops facilities to encourage greater participation in sport, and to enhance the standards of participants;
- Understands health and safety aspects of various activities and ensures any statutory requirements are met;
- Inspects and maintains specialised clothing and equipment;
- Manages the playing areas and competitors, starts race, competition or match and controls its progress according to established rules.
for this job
|Sport & recreation||38426|
|Services to buildings||2792|
|Public admin. & defence||2695|
|Other personal service||2072|